Thursday, April 17, 2008

Inclusion in Schools

Do you believe inclusion is the best thing for our special needs students in schools? Why?

4 comments:

Scott said...

I am divided on this one. To an extent, I agree with the sentiment that educating special needs students with their non-disabled peers provides a more equal opportunity, raises the bar, and provides an education with higher expectations and opportunities than might otherwise be provided. However, I simply have not read enough research to judge the effectiveness of these intentions one way or another. A part of me seems to believe educators who specialize the curriculum and teaching methods to the special needs of the students would be the best practice, and I have a hard time believing that is being accomplished with inclusion more than it would be in special needs classes with teachers who specialize in the needs of those students. Like I said, I'm divided and need to do more research on this one.

Angela said...

I believe that placing a child in an inclusive classroom should depend on the child and the severity of the disability. If a child is unable to function in a regular education classroom, then yes he/she needs to be placed in an inclusive classroom. But if there is a slight possibility that a child will succeed in a regular ed classroom then the child should at least be given the chance and the opportunity to succeed among his/her peers.

Erin said...

When it comes to students with mild disabilities, they should be in the classroom with the "normal" kids. However, having students with disabilities that the teachers are not trained to handle is just too much to expect from one person. Inclusion may work in a fantasy school system where they have money to hire enough aids, but that is obviously not the case in Mobile County. Here, the kids and the teachers are short-changed and inclusion is not working.

Stephanie said...

I am a special education teacher. And I do believe that inclusion is the best thing for student with disabilities. And please don't take my comment as being biased. I believe that inclusion is best depending upon the type of service that needs to be provided for that particular student. On the other hand, for students in which their least restrictive environment is attending public school while in a self-contained classroom they have been included-in the manner that best suits their needs.